Maes Fine Paintings does have two galleries: since 1977 Oude Vlaamse Galerij in the village of Sint Amands a/d Schelde – near Brussels – and since 1997 Maes Galerie in the heart of the city of Knokke – at the belgian coast – with both galleries still on the same premises.
Maes galerie is located right in the heart of the city of Knokke, alongside the Lippenslaan, the main promenade boulevard. Since the end of the 19th century Knokke-Heist has developed itself to a renowed seaside resort, which counts nowadays about 80 national and international art and antiques dealers.
The Oude Vlaamse Galerij is located in Sint-Amands aan de Schelde, at a distance of c.20 km from the center of Brussels, Belgium. The village of Sint-Amands lies exactly in the heart of flanders, right in the middle of the triangle formed by the historic cities of Brussels, Antwerp and Gent.
The gallery is housed in three adjacent buildings dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries. The house In den Arend, which is the main building, dates from 1847 and was transformed in flemish renaissance style in 1910. In the second half of the 19th century it functioned as a meeting place where plein-air painters and draughtsmen from Brussels and Antwerp gathered.
Among the artists who worked in Sint-Amands a/d Schelde are Albert Baertsoen, Theodore Baron, Cesar Beeckman, Theophile Bogaert, Herman Broeckaert, Omer Coppens, baron Frans Courtens, Jacques Doré, Felix Eyskens, Piet Gillis, Victor Gilsoul, Ketty Gilsoul-Hoppe, Pieter Gorus, Adrien Joseph Heymans, Louis Jacobs, Frans Van Kuyck, Frans Van Leemputten, Adrien Jean Lemayeur de Merpres, Jan Maes, Frans Masereel, Isidore Meyers, François Etienne Musin, Tony Van Os, Leon Riket, Jacques Rosseels, Valerius De Saedeleer, Achille Van Sassenbrouck, Leo Spanoghe, Leon Spilliaert, the Antwerp marine painter Romain Steppe, Louis Tiz, Frans De Vadder, Frans Verhas, Jan Verhas, Alfred Verwee, Ferdinand Willaert and members of “Les XX” like Guillaume Van Strydonck, Henry Van de Velde and Isidore Verheyden.
Next door is the Molenmuseum – Centrum voor Molinologie. Across the street lived Emile Verhaeren (Sint-Amands 1855–1916 Rouen, France), author of the poem Mon village from the essay bundle La Flandre, mon pays, edited between 1904 and 1910. The whole complex now houses the Provinciaal Museum Emile Verhaeren.